I was up at 5:30 today so I could be at Port City Community Church at (a few minutes after) 6:00 to help set up today. I directed an all-star team of Joey, Parish, Kirsten and Philip. I felt a little shaky on my timing for the 8:30 service but I think I did better with the 10:30 and 12:30.

Mike Ashcraft, the pastor, came into the room we use for the switcher and audio and told us that the online videos that were now being shown were already getting responses from far-off places. He’d gotten an e-mail from a guy in Iraq and a few out-of-state-people, so it gave us a good sense of purpose. He said the point of doing a good production wasn’t just to have a “cool church” but to help reach people. He then prayed for us and we got the day underway. It was nice motivation.

It was pretty rainy today. I remember waking up around 4:30 to lightning and maybe a little thunder. There never seemed to be a massive downpour, and whatever we were getting from the remnants of Tropical Storm Barry weren’t too hard to weather. We needed the rain, actually. We hadn’t had any in quite a while.

Amanda and Michael came to the 10:30 service. Michael had requested it last night and Amanda obliged. With the college students gone, there was a reasonable amount of seating available so it wasn’t as much of a hassle as the 10:30 service often is. Despite this, I’d still prefer to go to the 8:30. When you do that, even if you go out to eat afterwards you’ve still got so much day left ahead of you.

There was bar-b-que for lunch at PC3 today. I also met two new people. One was a guy named Chris, who was doing the audio, and the other was a guy named Matt who had recently moved here with his wife from Charlotte. That reminds me, as I don’t remember if I mentioned it previously or not, but I got an e-mail the other day from another couple looking to join a small group: Kyle and Lorin. I called them later in the afternoon and we’re going to try to get together sometime this week.

When I got out of there I went to Wal-Mart. Amanda had told me she was waiting for me to get home to go, but I knew that if I went home I wasn’t going to want to go back out, so I just went head by myself. Amanda insisted that I didn’t have to do that, but I really didn’t want to go back out. On days I direct at church, I much prefer to stay in and relax as much as possible.

I’d noticed this morning when I left the house that a light, which I assumed to be the Check Engine light, had come on. I mentioned it to Amanda when I got home and sat in the car while she looked at it. She decided that would be a good time to go get some gas and I complained about that. When I did she said she could just go before work tomorrow, but I told her there was no need to get up early when she could do it now, so I went along with it.

Michael’s friend, Matt, came by today and they went to hang out for a bit.  They might be getting an apartment together.

Not a whole lot else to the day. I discovered an online strategy game the other day called Global Conflict which I’ve enjoyed thus far. The problem is that you only get one turn per day and you can only join so many games. I’ve been trying to get my friends Jason Revill and Rick Titus to join up, thus far to no avail.

Zach Dotsey