What a great night, and there are so many things that were great about this game.
I’ve been amped about the Carolina at Duke game since yesterday. Going into it, I knew that Duke should win the game handily, and that it could be a blowout, but I figured we wouldn’t be that lucky. I thought Carolina would hang around for a bit. In reality, Carolina scored the first single point then Duke killed them from there.
- Michael Mercer, my brother-in-law and UNC fan, told me he was giving me two Duke wins over Carolina for my birthday. It was a nice touch for him to make the margin of victory on this one the same as the age I just turned: 32.
- The worst loss Roy Williams has ever had was 33. So close!
- I said beforehand that if Duke beat the largest margin of victory in the series (37, by Carolina many, many years ago) that I’d shave my face. I thought it was going to happen, but it did not.
- Duke scored more in the first half (53) than Carolina scored the entire game. That means Duke could have not scored at all in the second half and still get the win. Think about how crazy that is.
- In the first half, Brian Zoubek had more rebounds by himself than the entire Tar Heel team.
- This was Carolina’s worst loss since 2002 (to Maryland) and the fewest points scored in a game since 2003 (to Duke).
- This was the worst loss by a defending NCAA champion since 1990.
- Duke set a school record for home wins in a season with 17. All but one of those was by double digits, and the one that wasn’t was an out of conference game.
- Duke tied Maryland for the ACC regular season title but is the #1 seed in the ACC Tournament next week.
- Carolina has secured a #10 seed for the ACC Tournament, their lowest ever.
- Duke is being discussed as being the probable fourth #1 seed for the NCAA Tournament. It helps that Kansas State lost today.
- It was Senior Night for Jon Scheyer, Brian Zoubek and Lance Thomas. Coach K was emotional during the Senior Day celebrations, which they showed before the game.
- The Presbyterian fan who was kicked out of a Carolina game by Roy Williams for mild heckling was in attendance.
So it was a good night, as you can see.
We started the day going to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. Actually, the day started earlier than that. Bruce kept getting up and going downstairs to bother Karen and Milly woke up and cried a bunch around 1:00. Maybe she’s teething again, because she was very fussy today. She didn’t like being put down for naps, and when she did nap it wasn’t for long. She wasn’t a fan of going to sleep tonight either, although she seemed to go out (or at least quiet down) pretty soon after I shut her door.
Anyway, Cracker Barrel. We went to Wal-Mart after that to pick up a few things and Karen took off when we got home. Amanda actually napped on the couch, which is very much a rarity. I went out to pick up some chicken for our enchilada dinner tonight (we forgot to get it at Wally World) and to drop off the recycling. I took a huge amount of paper recycling that had built up over a few years. There were some slips of paper at the bottom of it that had been used for Balderdash, and I can’t remember the last time we played that.
Around 5:00 Amanda started getting things ready for tonight. Blake and Stephanie Konny came over around 6:30 for dinner. Since there was time, we went ahead and introduced them to Puerto Rico. It didn’t go well for me and Amanda. Blake won, followed by Stephanie then Amanda then me. That’s okay though, because the game came on before we finished and I’ll admit I was a little distracted. (Not that that’s why I lost.) I did DVR the game, and I plan on watching it again. It really was fun.