I did end up staying up to watch Assault on Precinct 13. It was, for the most part, what you’d expect. There was one thing that really surprised me though. Spoiler warning, in case anybody cares.

The one thing that really surprised me about Assault on Precinct 13 was that they killed off the romantic interest, played by Maria Bello. It wasn’t that they killed her that surprised me, it was that they showed her get a bullet to the head. Usually if a romantic interest in a movie gets offed, it’s not as graphic as that, it’s more dignified.

We got up and went to Port City Community Church this morning, as is usual for a Sunday for us. Ben and Jessica Lambeth were out of town this weekend, so we didn’t sit with them like we usually do, but just before the start of the service, Amanda said, “I’ll be right back; I see someone I haven’t seen in a long time.” That person ended up being a guy named Scott that she knew from when they went to Campbell University. He was sitting with Gretchen Green, another friend of Amanda’s from Campbell and we ended up sitting with them. I’d met Gretchen before, at church actually.

The two of them are friends from the same town in New York and both just happened to go to the same university in North Carolina. They decided a few months ago that they liked each other and wanted to get married. They are moving to Virginia next weekend, so this was actually the last time we’d have been able to see them. We all got some breakfast at IHOP
and then went our separate ways, although Gretchen gave us her e-mail address. It’s a shame Amanda isn’t better about staying in touch with people or calling them, because I had a nice time with them. Actually, Scott doesn’t live in town anyway, but still.

Gretchen had mentioned that she’d gotten some shirts for about two bucks at Old Navy, and Amanda and I wanted to stop by Lowes to exchange some white caulk for some clear caulk, and since Lowes is in the same shopping center as Old Navy we went by there after making our exchange. We went mainly for Amanda to get some shirts, but she didn’t find any. Myself, I bought two baseball tees for $5 apiece. I don’t know what it is I have about baseball tees, I just like them. I think I’ve got enough of them now though.

When we got back I took a nap and Amanda went to the mall. I ended up sleeping in the Orange Room beause I hadn’t slept in there before. I also figured Amanda would make some noise when she got home, and I had started out on the couch.

I ended up sleeping for quite a while and even had a couple of dreams, which I don’t often. The phone seemed to ring a lot while I was trying to sleep (although it really only rang a couple times) so I finally go up to answer it. Amanda got home right after that and showed me some of the things she’d gotten. Then I went back to sleep until Amanda woke me up to help her clean. I was really out of it. I was semi-awake and was telling myself to move, but I couldn’t even muster up the will to move my arm. I know that specifically because that’s what I was trying to do. I did end up finally moving though. I put up some clothes, picked up some in the office, caulked the shower, cleaned the bathroom, etc. Amanda had been cleaning the whole time and got the last of the boxes we had from moving emptied out. After cleaning we went to Lowes Food to get some groceries. Amanda watched some tv while I putzed about on the laptop.
By the way, I wore jeans today. I don’t know why, but I really felt like wearing them this morning, even though it was still supposed to be in the 80’s.

Flushing the upstairs toilet makes me smile. Up until yesterday, every time you flushed it you had to do two things; you had to hold the handle down for a few seconds and then you had to wait a few more seconds and pull the handle back up. That was just plain annoying. There have been at least two nights when I realized I hadn’t pulled the handle back up on the toiler and it was still running, making me make myself get back up and fix it after having already been nice and comfortable. But yesterday I fixed both problems. I moved the depth of a cork-looking floaty device in the back of the toilet and changed the length of the chain. I’m not trying to say I have any great plumbing skill or that I did anything extraordinary, but I enjoy looking at something like that and figuring out how to fix it. I think I’ve been doing that (figuring out toilet issues) since at least my first apartment in college, maybe longer.

Zach Dotsey