The external hard drive that I have about six or seven years worth of pictures started going bad.  It’ll run for a few minutes then start clicking or chirping and become unresponsive.  Not wanting to lose that many years of pictures, I was up until about 2:00 in the morning last night copying all my pictures to this laptop.  I’d have to start copying files then turn the hard drive off and back on then start copying again.  It was an arduous process.

Of course, a laptop is really not a a good storage place for that many pictures, so I’m working on getting them backed up in multiple ways.  First, I’m working on getting them all uploaded to Flickr, which will take a good while.  I also want to burn them all to CD, which will take dozens of CDs, but that’s not a big deal.  Then finally, I’m considering using an online backup service.  You can get unlimited storage for about $55 a year, which is not bad.

So not only did I go through that headache, but I had a little trouble falling asleep and once I did, Milly started crying pretty hard.  I went in to check on her (since Amanda was going back to work for the first time in about a week and a half today) and got her back down pretty quickly by just giving her her paci and tucking her back in.

Unfortunately she was back up not too long after that.  Amanda decided to head to the guestroom and I tried to tough it out, but by 3:40 I went in to go say hi to the baby again.

I got her out of the crib this time and sat her down on the floor to change her diaper, but she leaned against me so I wrapped my arms around her, and she stayed like that for quite a while.  Milly’s not usually all that snuggly, so I relished the moment.  It made me wonder if she had a dream that Amanda and I were gone.

After a few minutes she crawled around a little and I laid down, but then she came back and sat against me again, so I pulled her down to lie there with me for a bit.  It was really a very sweet moment.  Aside from not being generally snuggly she doesn’t sleep much outside of the crib, so she hasn’t just laid there and rested with me since she was teeny tiny.

I may have dozed a little; I’m not sure, but eventually I noticed Milly rubbing her eyes, so I put her back in the crib and went back to bed.  It was about 4:20 when I got back in bed and I fell asleep pretty quickly.

Amanda’s alarm went off at 6:45.  I went downstairs to let her know, crawled into the guestroom bed and was out until I woke up at about 8:00.

At 8:00 I did a couple quick work things then got Milly up, packed her in the stroller with some milk and some Cheerios and walked up to the grocery store.  We’re low on yogurt for her so I was going to get some that we had a coupon for, but I couldn’t find it in the baby food section.  Amanda later told me that what I was looking for was in the refrigerated section.  Oh well.

Work, oh work.  I feel like I’m falling behind.  It’s like I get one thing done and two more things come in that need my attention.

Milly spent most of the day either eating or fussing because she wanted to eat, and when she wasn’t doing either one of those she was sleeping.  She did sleep a lot today.  The evening was a little different though.  She was pretty fun during her last meal tonight.

My sunburn looked like it would be pretty bad, but I didn’t have any problem putting my shirt on this morning and I’ve worn it all day without any discomfort.  I’m leaning back in a chair right now.  Milly tends to grip my shoulder when I carry her, which I never actually noticed before, and that hurt a bit, but otherwise I’m fine.  My chest is a little itchy though, so I expect I’ll be peeling soon.

Zach Dotsey